San Gabriel is a city in Los Angeles County, California, United States. It is named after the Mission San Gabriel Arcángel, founded by Junipero Serra. The city grew outward from the mission and in 1852 became the original township of Los Angeles County. San Gabriel was incorporated in 1913. The city’s motto is “A city with a Mission” and it is often called the “Birthplace” of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. At the 2010 census, the population was 39,718.
The city of San Gabriel is served by the San Gabriel Unified School District. They state: “It is the mission of the San Gabriel School District, in partnership with the Community, to prepare its students for their future as productive citizens and lifelong learners…” The 2009 API school reports has recognized the San Gabriel Unified school district as one of the top school districts in California. Gabrielino High Schoolconsistently ranks as one of the highest achieving schools, as it ranks with some of the highest scores possible among public high schools in California.
There are five public elementary schools in San Gabriel, all of which are named after former Presidents:
- Calvin Coolidge Elementary School.
- McKinley Elementary School
- Roosevelt Elementary School
- Washington Elementary School
- Wilson Elementary School
Each of its public schools have been honoured as a California Distinguished School. Two other elementary schools exist within the city limits, Dewey Elementary, and Marshall Elementary, are operated by the Garvey School District, in the southern portion of San Gabriel.
Jefferson Middle School is located in the San Gabriel Unified School District. In 1968 the school was converted to the only intermediate school in the elementary school district with sixth, seventh and eighth grade students. Jefferson became part of the San Gabriel Unified School District in 1993-94. The five K-5 elementary schools feed into the middle school. Jefferson is recognized as a California Distinguished School.
There are [Claiborne]several private schools in the City of San Gabriel including:
- Saint Anthony School, Grades Pre-K through 8th. A Tradition of Excellence in Catholic education since 1948.San Gabriel Mission Elementary SchoolSan Gabriel Academy is a coeducational Seventh-day Adventist college preparatory school, grades K-12.Clairbourn School is a coeducational preparatory day school, pre-K through 8th grade in an environment harmonious with the teachings of Christian Science.Little Flower Montessori School, Grades Pre-K through 5th.San Gabriel Christian School– Is an accredited member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The school provides a strong Christian education program for over 600 students in grades kindergarten through eighth grade.
All information courtesy of Wikipedia